The University Grants Commission (UGC) has initiated the UGC-Infonet programme to provide electronic access to scholarly literature over the Internet in all areas of learning to the University sector in India. The programme is wholly funded by the UGC. All the universities which come under UGC’s purview will be members of the programme, and it will gradually be extended to colleges as well. The UGC-Infonet Programme has been implemented in our University during April, 2004.
UGC is modernizing the university campuses with state-of-the-art campus wide networks and setting up its own nationwide communication network named UGC-INFONET.
The UGC-INFONET will be overlaid on ERNET infrastructure to provide assured quality of service and optimal utilization of bandwidth resources. The project is being funded by the UGC with 90% capital investment and 100% recurring cost during the X Plan period. A Joint Technical and Tariff Committee (JTTC), consisting of leading experts in the country has been set up to guide and monitor the entire project. INFLIBNET Centre, an autonomous IUC of the UGC, is the nodal agency for coordination of the UGC-INFONET and facilitates linkage between ERNET and the universities.
UGC-INFONET will be a boon to the higher education system in several ways.
- It will become a vehicle for distance learning.
- It will be a tool to distribution of education material and journals to remotest of areas.
- It will be a resource for researchers and scholars for tapping most up-to-date information.
- It will form a medium for collaboration among teachers and students, not only within the country but all over the world.
- It will be on Intranet for university automation.
- It will establish a channel for globalization of education.