National Repository for Microalgae and Cyanobacteria - Freshwater (NRMC-F) is a sponsored project by Department of Biotechnology, Govt. of India (DBT) from the year 2015. The Repository would carry out an extensive survey of the freshwater bodies including those in coastal areas of South India to explore the spatial and temporal diversity of freshwater microalgae and cyanobacteria and their relation to abiotic ecological factors. Along with this the diverse biotechnological applications of microalgae and cyanobacteria towards production of biofuels, proteins, pigments, bioactive compounds will also be explored.
- This unique Repository for Microalgae and Cyanobacteria visualizes becoming a model to such centers around the world and lead both basic and applied aspects of research in the biological applications of solar energy for human welfare.
- It would be a global resource center of materials and methods for those interested and involved in the study of these tiny but mighty midgets.
- An exhaustive survey of South Indian fresh water sources; isolation, purification, identification and preservation as well as maintenance of as many available microalgae and cyanobacteria as possible in a culture collection;
- Studies in molecular taxonomy, ecology, biochemistry and all basic aspects relevant to application of these organisms in biotechnology
- Providing materials and methods to needy
- Biotechnological studies in areas of bioenergy; bioactives and bioremediation.