School of Education
Department of Educational Technology
UGC-SAP Sponsored Department
The Department of Educational Technology has the unique distinction of having been selected by University Grants Commission for the Special Assistance Programme (SAP) under Departmental Research Support in the year 2007. It was established in the year 1988 as the first-of-its-kind-department in the entire country for Teacher Education with a special focus on Educational Technology. The establishment of the Department of Educational Technology was a pioneering effort in India to popularize the concept of Educational Technology among the teaching community at various levels. After its inception and three decades of development in the field of teacher education, the department today stands as a leading centre for study and research in Education, in general and the development and application of Information and Communication Technology, in particular. The department has scaled a greater height and has made significant contribution in all the dimensions of Higher Education viz., Teaching, Research, Extension and Material Development. It has strong partnerships with many agencies of education at different levels with a view to promoting the application of Educational Technology for qualitative improvement of education at all levels across disciplines. Initially, the M.Ed. programme was started in the year 1990 and NCTE (National Council for Teacher Education), the statutory body, governing the teacher education institutions in the country granted the approval for the M.Ed. programme in the year 2000 with an intake of 15 students and from the academic session (2015-2016) granted an annual intake of 50 students (One Unit) for conducting the M.Ed. Programme of Two year duration. The Research programme such as M.Phil. and Ph.D in Education are also be offered by the Department.
The key objectives of the Department of Educational Technology are,
- unctioning as an institute for Post Graduate Teacher Education and Educational Research, besides the capacity building of the faculty members of Higher Education Institutions, Colleges of Education, District Institutes of Education and Training, Issue based Research and Extension in the frontier areas of Educational Technology and Teacher Education.
- providing academic resource support to Schools, DIETs’, Colleges of Education and Universities as per their needs in various aspects of Education in general and Educational Technology in particular.
- documenting and disseminating innovative classroom practices and innovative applications of ICT in Education and development of e-content materials.
- promoting research at all levels of Education in both “Technology in Education” and “Technology of Education”.
- Development of State-of-the Art teaching technologies like E-content and ICT tools.
- To provide Quality Teacher Education to the prospective Teacher Educators to become professionally competent, committed and contributing teachers and teacher educators.
- To focus teaching, research and extension towards development, application and evaluation of systems, techniques and tools to maximize learning at different levels of education.
- Collaboration with National and International level Institutions for Professional Development
Vision of the Department
- to emerge as a Centre for Advanced Studies in Education at the National level.
- to inspire students, generate rigorous research, understand the significance of cultural diversity, and be agents of social transformation towards access, equity, quality and excellence.
Mission of the Department
The Department is committed to prepare the prospective teacher educators
- through transformative knowledge, attitude and skills.
- to inculcate wholesome values for nurturing an Egalitarian Society.
- to implement the pedagogical, technological and content skills, knowledge and dispositions that prepare all the prospective teacher educators for 21st-century realities.
- for guiding future researchers to combine theory and practice to improve the quality of teacher education.