School of Social Sciences
Department of Sociology
Welcome to the Department of Sociology at Bharathidasan University.
The department of Sociology was started in January 1988. The department is concentrating on three major areas namely academic, research and extension activities. Since inception, the department has Ph.D, M.Phil and Post - Graduate programmes in Sociology without any interruption.
- Educate and empower students to become informed, effective, and responsible citizens who embrace diversity in their communities, society and the nation.
- Offer strong Post Graduate, M. Phil and PhD programmes in Sociology to the students to expose the richness of sociological methods and theoretical models.
- Contribute essential learning opportunities in sociology and its specialized branches – Industrial Sociology, Urban Sociology, Rural Sociology, Sociology of Mass Communication, Gender and Society, Sociology of Health, Human Resource Development apart from the core and fundamental courses in Sociology.
- Teach students in innovative, exciting, and effective ways and provides them with independent study, honors, and capstone experiences that deepen learning.
- Provide students with important opportunities for civic engagement through independent research, internships, and service learning.
- Give students with advising that guides their academic progress towards timely completion and that helps them formulate relevant career goals and choices.
- Work closely with students in collaborative research and projects that serve the campus, students, and the community.
- Enable students to use the knowledge and methodologies of their disciplines for conceptual thinking, critical analysis, oral and written communication, and the application of appropriate information technologies.
- Participate in multidisciplinary relationships and programs and pursues new multidisciplinary curricular initiatives.
- Develop and maintain strong associations with potential employers of our students through internships and other partnerships.
- Recruits and retains outstanding faculty who achieve distinction as teachers, student advisers, scholars, and agents of community engagement.
- To prepare students to be critical consumers of information related to social interaction and society and to be insightful social observers, capable of enriching the workplaces, communities, and institutions of higher learning to which they graduate.
- Through their course of study, students learn to use a variety of theoretical and methodological tools to analyze and interpret social data, to think creatively and communicate effectively about social issues and problems, and to engage their communities as active and responsible citizens oriented towards the welfare of society.
- The focus of study are social structures and institutions, social processes and interaction, and awareness of inequality and appreciation for diversity in an increasingly complex world.
- The students of Sociology develop the ability to adapt to ongoing change in a knowledge-based society and work environment.
- They are prepared to enter into a wide range of career settings, such as the corporate workplace, government, social services, research institutes, and nonprofit and community organizations.