About Bharathidasan University (BDU)
We will create a brave new world (புதியதோர் உலகம் செய்வோம்)
With the ultimate aim of creating a brave new world, Bharathidasan University ensures the pursuit of excellence in teaching, learning, research, and extension of knowledge through higher education.
The mission of Bharathidasan University is to promote scholarly, scientific and critical inquiry among the learners to move forward in the frontiers of knowledge and enrich and elevate them as the citizens of the state, the nation, and the world by offering nationally and internationally competitive learning and creative activity through quality programmes of teaching, research, and extension.
Bharathidasan University endears to espouse to such core values that position the Institution on the righteous path in its relentless endeavour of creating 'A New Brave World' characterized by Creative Excellence, Community Equity, Competence Eminence and Characteristic Exemplar.
- BDU insists the pulsating value of Creative Excellence upon the Academia and Administration leading to resoundingly sustained inventive pursuits in propelling new knowledge, superior learning and rewarding innovation.
- BDU inculcates the stimulating value of Community Equity upon all Stakeholders and Neighbourhood-communities as a means of advancing a social order that cares for /shares with the disadvantaged and works for societal up-lift.
- BDU injects the synergizing value of Competence Eminence upon Students/Scholars to acquire ‘the best- the most- the choicest learning/skills’, by oneself and/or aligning with compatible collaborators to sport global competences.
- BDU imbibes the resonating value of Characteristic Exemplar, upon all Colleagues and Others that everyone so naturally follows a life style that marks and evokes honesty, modesty, novelty, precocity, simplicity and sagacity.
About the University
Bharathidasan University established in February 1982, and was named after the great revolutionary Tamil Poet,
Bharathidasan (1891-1964). The motto of the University "We will create a brave new world" has been framed from Bharathidasan's poetic words "புதியதோர் உலகம் செய்வோம்". The University endeavours to be true to such a vision by creating in the region a brave new world of academic innovation for social change.
The University's main Campus was initially located in a sprawling area of over 1000 acres in Palkalaiperur. However, as years passed on, the South Campus at Palkalaiperur with the available infrastructure was donated to the newly started Anna University of Technology. Very recently, another portion of the land has been allotted to the Indian Institute of Management (IIM), Tiruchirappalli. Also, the University has a downtown campus at Khajamalai, which housed originally the Autonomous Post-Graduate Centre of the University of Madras at Tiruchirappalli. In addition to the administrative complex, which includes the Vice-Chancellor's Secretariat, Registrar's Office, Finance and Examination offices, most of the academic departments and research laboratories are located in the main Palkalaiperur Campus. Among the academic units in the Palkalaiperur Campus are Schools of Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Life Sciences, Basic Medical Sciences, Geosciences, Social Sciences, Marine Sciences and the Schools of Languages. In addition, the Campus also has the Central Library, University Informatics Centre, Hostels, Staff Quarters, Health Centre, Canteen and others. The downtown campus has the Departments of Social Work, Computer Science, the Centre for Remote Sensing, the UGC-Human Resource Development Centre (Formerly UGC-Academic Staff College) and others. Besides these, the Bharathidasan Institute of Management popularly known as BIM (adjudged as one of the top business schools in the country) is located within the BHEL premises, a public sector undertaking at Tiruverumbur.
The University has totally 4 Faculties, 16 Schools, 37 Departments and 29 Specialized Research Centres. There are 230 faculty members catering to 2372 students and scholars in the University. The University Departments/Schools are offering 177 programmes including 40 PG programmes in M.A., M.Sc. and M.Tech. The above programmes are conducted under the Choice Based Credit System (CBCS) in Semesters: 31 M.Phil., 33 Ph.D., 19 P.G. Diploma, 11 Diploma and 10 Certificates. The University's supporting staff strength is 521. In addition to the regular teaching programmes in the Departments and Schools, the University under its Distance Education mode is conducting 15 UG and 26 PG programmes. All the UG and PG programmes are conducted under non-semester system and MCA and MBA programmes are conducted under semester system along with the regular programmes. The MCA and MBA programmes conducted under this mode are very popular.
Download Link for Theme Song Video (MPG Format)
- Status of the University: State University
- Type of the University: Affiliating
- Date, Month & Year of Recognition: 26.11.1984 (Under 2f and 12B)
- Main Campus (Semi-Urban): 631.17 Acres
- Khajamalai Campus (Urban): 52.56
Institutions Affiliated to the University
|Type of Institution||Autonomous||Non-Autonomous||Total|
Former Vice-Chancellors of BDU
- Prof. P.S. Mani Sundaram (1982-1985)
- Prof. A.Gnanam (1985-1988)
- Prof. S. Muthukumaran (1988-1994)
- Prof. VR. Muthukkaruppan (1994-1997)
- Prof. P. Jagadeesan (1997-2000)
- Prof. Muthiah Mariappan (2000-2003)
- Prof. C. Thangamuthu (2004-2007)
- Prof. M. Ponnavaikko (2007-2010)
- Prof. K. Meena (2010-2013)
- Prof. V. M. Muthukumar (2014-2017)