Research, Consultancy and Extension
The research profile of the faculty is quite impressive. Many of the faculty members received prestigious awards and prizes and recognition.
Five of the senior faculty members (Prof.P.K.Ponnusamy, Prof.C.Thangamuthu, Prof. S.M. Ramasamy, Prof. R. Karpaga Kumaravel and Prof. N. Rajendran became Vice-chancellors of reputed state/central universities in Tamilnadu.
Awards and recognition received
- 1. Goyal Prize (Physics).
- 2. Fellow of Royal Society of Physics.
- 3. Fellow of the Academy of Sciences for the Developing World (FTWAS) (Physics)
- 4. AC. Banerjee Memorial Lecture Award of National Academy of Sciences (Physics)
- 5. Senior Associateship in a reputed Research Institute in Italy (Physics).
- 6. Fellow of Indian Academy of Science (Chemistry).
- 7. UGC-Career award (Chemistry).
- 8. CRSI Lecture Award (Chemistry)
- 9. Fellow of Royal Society of Chemistry.
- 10. Chairmen and Members of various evaluation, monitoring, advisory and selection committees of scientific agencies such as UGC, CSIR, DST, DBT etc. (Physics and Chemistry)
- 11. Membership in Referee Panel and Editorial Boards of reputed international journals (Physics and Chemistry).
- 12. Visiting fellowships in reputed research institutes in abroad (most of the Science Departments).
- 13. Young Scientist Award (Physics, Marine Science, Life Sciences)
- 14. Tamilnadu Scientist Award (TANSA) (Physics, Chemistry, Plant Science, Animal Science, Environmental Science, Sociology)
- 15. Brahmaiah Sastri Memorial Award (2009) (Biotechnology)
- 16. Hiyoshi Environmental Award (Environmental Biotechnology)
- 17. INSA - Young scientist Medal (Physics and Microbiology)
- 18. Sahitya Akadami Award (Languages)
- 19. All India Literary Translation Award (English) Bharat Jyothi Award (English)
- 20. Rashtriya Vidya Saraswati Puraskar Award (by the International Institute of Education and Management, New Delhi) (Commerce)
- 21. Also, prior to the above reference period, many prestigious awards and prizes were won by several faculty members. They include S.S. Bhatnagar Prize (Physics, Chemistry), as Fellow of all the three Indian Science Academies (FNA, FASc and FNASc), UGC's Hari Om Trust Meghnad Saha award, UGC-Career Award, Membership in Academy of Sciences in abroad, Fulbright Fellowship, Associateship in reputed Research Institutes in abroad, Visiting Fellowships, Memberships in various scientific boards and committees, membership in Editorial Boards of reputed international journals (all the above belong to Physics) etc.
The research accomplishments of different Departments have been duly recognised and special funding support under various lead-schemes have been received as follows:
The following Schools / Departments have been recognized by the University Grants Commission (UGC) under its Special Assistant Programme (SAP).
- School of Chemistry – DRS – III
- School of Physics – DRS-I
- Department of Botany - DRS-I
- Department of Animal Science- DRS-I
- Department of Geography – DRS-I
- Department of Environmental Biotechnology - DRS-I
- Department of Economics - DRS-I
- Department of Educational Technology - DRS-I
The Following Schools / Departments are supported by the Department of Science and Technology (DST) under its FIST- Programme.
- School of Physics
- School of Chemistry
- Department of Animal Science
- Department of Botany
- Department of Environmental Biotechnology
Under this programme, the university is identified to receive a grant of Rs.9.0 Crore based on the past performance of some of the science departments in terms of high quality publications and impact factor.
Specialized Research Centres
There are a few specialized internationally recognized centres with faculty members and good facilities. These include the Centre for Nonlinear Dynamics, the National Facility for Marine Cyanobacteria and the Centre for Remote Sensing. Due to its international recognition, the Centre for Nonlinear Dynamics attracts regular visitors including top experts from abroad for discussion and collaboration.
The faculty members of the different departments have contributed to their fields of research through high quality publications in reputed international journals with high impact factor.
Research papers published in International and national level journals by the faculty:
International Journals : 1014
National Journals : 476
- Number of inventions and patents : Registration of 4 patents are in the process
- Number of books published : 46
Conferences and Workshops
Conferences are organized in the Departments regularly and also faculty members attend conferences in India and abroad. The details are as under:
Number of conferences / workshops / seminars etc. attended by the faculty members during the last 5 years:
International : 32
National : 215
Number of conferences / workshops / seminars etc. organized by the faculty members during the last 5 years:
International : 10
National : 76
There are 318 full-time Ph.D. students and 153 part-time research scholars in the University Departments. The students are benefited well from the good collection of books and current journals in addition to the electronic resources.
The faculty members of the university departments are continuously in receipt of research grants in large sum from agencies such as UGC, DST, CSIR, DAE, DBT, DRDO, IUAC, in the Departments. At present, there are 119 project going on with a total outlay of Rs. 32.28 crores.
Technology transfer and consultancy earnings
|Clinical Diagnostic Service||Biotechnology||
Apollo Speciality Hospital, Madurai
Meenakshi Mission Hospital, Madurai
Madurai Kidney Centre
ABC Hospital, Trichy
Maruti Hospital, Trichy
|Training Workshop||Environmental Biotechnology||Tamilnadu Pollution Control Board, Chennai.||20,000|
Preparation of Land plan Schedule
Establishment of Ground Control Points 22,000
|Centre for Geographic Information Technology||Rail Vikas Nigam Ltd., Chennai.
Public Elections Department, Govt. of Tamilnadu
M/s STUP Consultancy P. Ltd., Chennai.
M/s Hazma Infracon India, Pvt. Ltd., Hyderabad
|Isolation and Identification of Value added Compounds during Degradation of Coir Pitch by Cyanobacteria for dry and Crops as foliar Spray.||Marine Biotechnology||Coir Board, Kerala||7,30,000|
|Bioactive Compound Testing and Technology Transfer||Marine Biotechnology||ABL Tecnhno-logies Nicholas Piramal, Mumbai||9,09,000|
National and International Research Linkages
School of Physics
University of California (USA), Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research (Germany), International Centre for Theoretical Physics (Italy), University of Cergy – Pontoise (France), University of Denmark, Max – Planck Institute for Complex Systems (Germany), Los Alamos National Laboratory (USA), Universidad Rey Juan Carlos (Spain), Oxford University (England), Chinese Academy of Sciences (Beijing), University of Tokyo (Japan), FCT-UNL (Portugal), University of Nerdchatel (Switzerland), University of Toledo (USA), Sungkyunkwan University (Korea), University of San-Palo (Brazil).
School of Chemistry
University de Neuchatel (Switzerland), Frenking-Philipps University (Germany), Coventry University (England) Horward University (USA), University of Manchester (England), Ningbo University (P.R.China), University of Zurich (Switzerland).
Department of Animal Science
University of Kentucky (USA), University of Camerino (Italy), Hokkaido University (Japan), Nanyang Technical University (Singapore).
School of Marine Science
Computational Biology Research Centre (Tokyo), University of Plovdiv (Bulgaria).
Department of Biotechnology
Paichai University (Korea), Bar-Illam University (Israel), Entomological Research Institute (Czechoslaviya), University of Exetes (England), Wurzberg University (Germany).
Recently, the University has established a nodal agency, "Bharathidasan University Business Development Cell" for co-ordinating / channelising the university-industry R & D linkages and several MoU's have been signed.